In the Dark (remix)
"I'm glad I got this nine millimeter, it's a beauty."
- Guy shoots his wife's dog for barking too much.
- Man and wife arguing about rain and responsibility.
- Joe: the woman who can't sleep, worrying about problems in her building, seething about men. She goes out for a drive dressed unusually cheaply, going mad from insomnia and wanting to break the rules.
- A story of Halsworth the wily tycoon and his broken down Mercedes.
- Stuck in the middle of the night in the urban jungle, he imagines what he'll do if accosted.
- Finally a bus comes, but it's a party bus and it passes him.
- He meets Lola, the insomniac we just heard about who drives up in her MG.
- They drive to her building, which he happens to own.
- She gives him spiked juice and steals his suit, then goes into a gentlemen's club disguised as him.
- Halsworth wakes up and sees that he's wearing Lola's outfit, makeup, dyed hair and earrings and nail polish.
- He finds himself attractive, considers making love to himself.
- She calls him on the phone, instructs him to get in the limo downstairs.
- He imagines what may be inside (absurd list).
- The car stops. He gets out and is abandoned by a remote lake. He tries to swim but sinks. The briefcase opens and doves fly out.
- Joe analyzes this story with rhetorical questions.
- Strange modulated voice (not Joe) rambles about experiences and desires. The voice seems electronically modulated, but sounds a little like someone with a defective or missing larynx who makes sounds with his mouth and a machine that generates the tones for him.
- Joe: Max, the night watchman. He and his blind dog Shadow are lost.
- He remembers fragments of his past.
- About losing your way in life.
- Max wonders if he exists.
- Doors lead to bizarre places.
- Max is suddenly on stage at a comedy club, tells the audience he's lost. They think he's hilarious.
- Another door leads to a woman's bedroom. She tries to seduce him. His husband arrives, so Max hides under the bed. Max slips away after they make love.
- Through another door Max finds a radio guy spitting on his Bangladeshi engineer.
- Looking into the face of zealots. Fundamental questions throughout history. Examining what we truly believe. "Never mind the answers; learn to live with the questions."
- Song: "Me and My Shadow"--Joe sings along with the recording.
- Closing thoughts from the modulated voice.