Tour Of The City, A (Part 1)
|WBAI and NPR Playhouse|
|Original Broadcast Date|
|Alan Hunter, Marilyn Casky, Barbara Sohmers, Arthur Miller, Richard Bower, Tim Jerome, Mark Hammer, Joseph Palmieri, Larry Block, Joe Frank|
|Scripted Actors, Sound Effects, 1 hour|
|Followed by:||A Tour Of The City (Part 2)|
"You're in a commercial jet, circling above a city."
This program was broadcast in two parts, the first is 60 minutes long. The second part is 30 minutes.
Second person monologue: You arrive in a plane which nearly crashes. Cab driver talks about suicide methods. Scenes from a street. The principals are introduced in monologue. Voltgen gives an electrocism lecture to a novice. Electrocism ceremony. A man bathes his disabled wife. Seeing a speck in the desert that becomes a wall of water and a giant drawn by horses. Religious orders and commandments. Bizarre boxing matches: a knight and a caveman, a housewife and a giant bug. The president addresses the public via loud speakers. The mans wife confronts him. Hero mythology. Discussion with Voltgen about love. Electrocism initiation. Man argues with his wife, gets a threatening phone call, is watched by a helicopter. President hums a childhood song over loudspeakers. Sounds of an explosion. A man talks about watching people from a helicopter. President asks people to spy on their neighbors.
- Material from this program was later included in the programs Nightride and Black Hole.
- The text from this program was published in the form of a play.
Please see guidelines on commentary and share your personal thoughts in this section.
- "Remote Viewing" - Tangerine Dream (from "Exit ", 1984)
- "Höre, der du wagst" & "Brüder Des Schattens" - Popol Vuh (from "Brüder Des Schattens - Söhne Des Lichts", 1978)
- "Music For Mallet Instruments, Voices And Organ" - Steve Reich (from "Drumming, Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ, Six Pianos", 1974)
- "Six Marimbas" - Steve Reich (from "Six Marimbas ", 1984)
- "On Land" - Brian Eno (from "On Land ", 1984)